Had an EEG today

So today I got up and went to work. Not long after getting there I got a call from the Royal Adelaide Hospital about my EEG. They said that I was able to come in today and have it. I organised with work as my managers came in to take the day off. Kinda annoying much prefer to give and have some notice, but given that I could be waiting till around Christmas to get in otherwise I really didn’t want to wait that long and I want to make sure that I am not having Complex Partial Seizures and if I am I get onto the right medication ASAP.

The EEG didn’t hurt or anything, but man it was weird. Had 20 or so wires stuck to my head with a connective paste. Felt like I all the sudden had dreadlocks. Then I sat in a recliner and the lady started to record my brain waves and there was a camera recording facial movements etc. Was odd to have a camera record me for half hour or so. The lady had me close my eyes for a while then open them, then close them and on that went. After a while the lady put a strobe light in front of me and had me watch that for a while as the speed of the flashing increased. Didn’t really enjoy that so much, thought I was going to throw up. Then the lady had me close my eyes for a while, then open again while the strobe light was on, then off then on then off. She then had me breath deep for 3 minutes, made me a bit light headed but she said that it was to be expected. Then we went back to the eyes closed for ages, then open for a bit then closed again. All in all I was in there with the lady for a bit over an hour.  But I wont know the results until the 13th November when I see my Psychiatrist next.  I asked the lady if there was anything to worry about and she said that she wasn’t able to disclose any information about the test results. So I got another 2 weeks to go until I find out.

It bugs me that when you have a test for something that you then have to wait for a particular person to give you the results. Why can’t the people doing the tests have enough training to let you know if there is an issue or not. But I suppose if there was something really wrong they would have sent me somewhere in the hospital to do something about it.

It was pretty nerve racking going into the hospital for the test. I’m not a fan of hospitals at the best of times. Before that I was already feeling a bit odd. I woke up this morning feeling pretty blah, I didn’t sleep well and was feeling down. After going to the hospital and doing the EEG I went home and washed my hair, the paste stuff goes everywhere and makes your hair feel all sticky. Now that I am showered and home I feel much better. Still bit anxious about the results and stuff, but much calmer. When ever I am at home I feel so much calmer than anywhere else.


About malensteptoe
I am work for one of Australia's big 4 banks in the System Admin Team. I am also a mental health sufferer. Currently diagnosed with OCD, MDD, Panic Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Agoraphobia and Trichotillomania. I also write books and a blog. I am an advocate for change of the view towards mental health sufferers. We can and are beneficial people in society, with much to offer and contribute. We are not all violent, actually the percentage of violent tendencies in the mentally ill and those without mental illness are no different. You may work with someone right next to someone with mental illness and never know. So maybe it's time to re-evaluate your opinions?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: